Re: GUILE's GC - why we struggling to solve already solved problems ? (was Re: finding the top of the stack in linux)

18-Jul-00 01:01 you wrote:
> Tom Tromey <tromey@cygnus.com> writes:

>> Marius> I would regard switching to a purely conservative GC as a
>> Marius> step in the wrong direction.
>>
>> You aren't describing the Boehm GC here.  It also has generational
>> capability.  Boehm is working on making it concurrent as well.

> Ah, it looks like I'm very much uninformed about Boehm's GC.  So, is
> anyone interested in demoing a Guile with Boehm's GC?

Unfortunatelly for that you need someone who knowns GUILE's GC well: Boehm's
GC has extensive documentation but GUILE's one does not :-(( I'm not such
person, unfortunatelly (BTW IMO it's mostly psychological problem: for someone
who knows GUILE's GC well enough to replace it with Boehm's GC it's "very
obvious" that any other GC in GUILE will be inferior).

P.S. Main advantage of Boehm's GC is that it's VERY easily embeddable. You
can plug it in COMPILED program with LD_LIBRARY_PRELOAD. It's far cry from
GUILE's GC. And for EXTENSION language (GUILE was supposed to be extension
language if I recall correct) it's MORE important than modernity or speed of
GC (I'm not saying Boehm's GC is inferior here though). IMHO anyway.