GUILE's GC - why we struggling to solve already solved problems ? (was Re: finding the top of the stack in linux)

guile@khim.sch57.msk.ru writes:
> If you have access to such pointer then probably you can access to main() as
> well. For true embeddable language it's important to work with EXISTING
> binary-only interface (like apache modules interface).

I can't imagine that the Apache team would not be willing to add
something as harmless as get_stack_pointer() call to the interface.

> But why the hell we
> are inventing our own GC with a lot of limitations and not even using clearly
> appropriate parts (like stack placement finding subroitine) from ALREADY
> existing and TESTED solutions. Why to reinvent the wheel ? What's

Have you even looked at the current garbage collection?

How do you propose to make Boehm's GC jibe with applications that do
part of the allocations themselves? Does Apache use Boehm's GC for
example? How do you do handle weak vectors?

--

Han-Wen Nienhuys   |   hanwen@cs.uu.nl    | http://www.cs.uu.nl/~hanwen/