Re: guile as applications language

Han-Wen Nienhuys <hanwen@cs.uu.nl> writes at 16:33 17-Jul-2000 +0200:
> If the focus so blurred and diverse as what you sketch, I don't think
> that anything will come out of it.

The clarification on the focus I would like is this: Is Guile to be an
applications language or merely an extension language?

If Guile is intended primarily as an extension language, then it is
likely that design decisions will be made that serve to make Guile less
attractive as an applications language.

But if Guile is intended to be an applications language, then most all
of the things I mentioned in my previous mail will be either features of
the core Guile engine (e.g., performance, multithreading) or add-ons
that people naturally and quickly develop for Guile (e.g., libraries for
Web things, database access, IPC).

Again, I can't say what is best for Guile or the GNU Project; I would
just like to know whether I should risk moving all my new app
development to Guile Scheme or stick with other (unmentionable)
languages.

I'd sincerely appreciate hearing from the decision-makers when they have
time to comment.

--
                                          Neil W. Van Dyke <nwv@acm.org>
                                          http://www.media.mit.edu/~nwv/