Re: Translation for extension is a bad idea

Michael Vanier <mvanier@bbb.caltech.edu> writes:

> > The problem is that dylan doesn't have a module system which protects
> > classes or generic functions.  CLOS has the same problem.  You can add
> > restrictions, but these restrictions are orthogonal the module system.
> > I think Guile should not adopt this style.

I wanted to say "orthogonal to the module system", sorry.

> My vague memory of all this is that there is a module system in Dylan, and
> modules can be "sealed" to prevent unwanted modifications.  This is
> probably not as sophisticated as what is being proposed for guile/GOOPS,
> though.  Also, the discussion is IMO really about syntax, not whether we
> want to support Dylan semantics exactly (which I agree that we probably
> don't).

Well, I have to say that I don't like its syntax either.  It's too
"static", compared with cecil for example.

->  http://www.cs.washington.edu/research/projects/cecil/cecil/www/www/Papers/cecil-spec.html

(Compare that with Tung's module system).

Jost