RE: Translation for extension is a bad idea

   > Perhaps scheme can be extended somewhat to make it suitable as backend
   > language but "as it is" it works bad.

From the few translators that exist and from discussion on this list,
it is clear that the result of programs in other languages converted
to scheme would generally not be human consumable.  This weakens
arguments supporting translators to scheme.  I think it is a good idea
to allow different high level languages to be used as a scripting
language.  There ARE benefits to using say Python or (heaven forbid)
Perl over scheme for some applications.  However, if we're not going
to be generating human readable scheme anyways, we may as well develop
a better suited target (some sort of byte code perhaps) to which other
languages including scheme, can be targeted.

The argument that we should continue working on translating other
languages to scheme simply because "this is what we had decided"
several years back without the experience gained since, I find a
little difficult to justify.

My two cent rant.

Regards
Jas