Re: Translators, yet once more (Re: PHP fork project- Guile vs Pythonvs ?)

On Sun, 9 Jul 2000, Lalo Martins wrote:

> Also, many "smart" languages (like Python and Scheme itself)
> have a few "tricks" and proposital idiosyncrasies (like
> __getitem__, __len__, __getattr__ etc in Python) which would
> probably be inpractical to emulate; so we can more or less
> safely say there will never be a real Python->Scheme
> translator, but instead from a language with the same syntax as
> Python but not exactly the same semantics, to something Guile
> can read (perhaps Scheme, perhaps some internal representation).

With all due respect, that is not true. Have a look at JPython, a
Python-to-Java translator. It supports the Python language perfectly, and
Java is a much more prmitive language then Scheme.

--
Moshe Zadka <moshez@math.huji.ac.il>
There is no GOD but Python, and HTTP is its prophet.