Re: Library facilities for Scheme?...

   Date: Sun, 09 Jul 2000 11:49:15 +0200
   From: Ralf Mattes <rm@mh-freiburg.de>

   thi wrote:

   > guile has an autoload feature as part of its module system.
   >
   > (define-module (end-user)
   >   :autoload (lib-module) (symbol-1 symbol-2 ...)
   >   :autoload (another-lib) (symbol-1 symbol-2 ...))
   >
   > [...]

   Where would i find some documentation about this
   feature, or, more specific, what do i need to do
   in my library to provide autoloading?  What does
   guiles autoloading actually do: load the whole library
   once a symbol is asked for or just load the symbol?
   I perl one can split a module into several files--autoloading
   a function will only load the file with the functions definition.

as far as i know, there is no documentation.  if you find any, let me
know.  :->  you might consider writing some documentation to contribute
to the guile project...

there is no widely available autoload-cookie scanning magic (although i
have a scheme i use personally that i'll publish some time in the next
month or so...); all you have to do is make sure your symbols are
exported, using `(export symbol-1 symbol-2...)' or by `define-public'.

at this time (the module system may change incompatibly in the future
:-), there is a direct correspondance between the module name and a file
in the filesystem; to load a module means to load that file.

(btw, i saw your recent posts on the guile mailing list.)  i am trying
to coordinate a guile webpage upgrade and concede that the current pages
are less than satisfactory.  please feel free to make suggestions (after
reviewing previous suggestions from the archive).

thi