Re: PHP fork project- Guile vs Python vs ?

On Sat, Jul 08, 2000 at 04:46:14PM -0600, Richard Stallman wrote:
> [I am resending this with a correction]
>
> [...]
>
> Scheme is a very powerful language, and a very good target for
> translating other languages.  Eventually the plan is to have a number
> of translators from various languages into Scheme.  Then any program
> which uses Guile will be able to support all those languages.
>
> So please use Guile, and translate the PHP language into Scheme.

Well, and how? I have read the statements about translating
other languages to scheme/guile several times now, as a matter
of fact this is what initially attracted me to guile, but there
seems to be no documentation whatsoever about how to do this.

Doing some online searching i found ../gnu/docs/guile_1.0/ctax etc.
but the whole thing looked awfully out of date. I think that for
someone looking for an embedable language guile looks very
scarry. Even so the 'official' webpage stresses guiles use as
an embedable language there seems to be no link to an 'embed-guile-howto'
or information on the status of making guile more embedable (like
removing the restriction of having guile take over the 'main'
function). I know that there has been a lot of very interessting
and important work done for guile recently (thank you all!), but
there seems to be an (often unjustified) negative aura arround
the language in mailing lists and newsgroups--often due to the
lack of information. If this is a question of not-enough-manpower
i'm happy to help.

> [The first time, I said "translate the PHP license".
> That was a spazz.]

Greetings from Freiburg

  Ralf Mattes