Re: how to (activate-readline)

On Wed, 14 Jun 2000, Olivier Buechel wrote:

> I`m working on a SunOS  5.7 sun4u sparc and guile. The package was once
> compiled with ./configure --disable-shared once without this option. I
> think I can use shared libraries with 5.7. Anyway, in guile 1.3.5pre2
> (use-modules (ice-9 readline))
> (activate-readline)
> doesn`t work for me. How can i use readline?

Do you have the shared GNU readline libraries installed and are they on
your LD_LIBRARY_PATH?  If I remember correctly, I once had the same
problem, because Solaris has some readline library of its own, but that
one didn't work.  Then, I installed GNU readline as a shared lib and made
sure it was found before the other one.  Building the shared libs wasn't
obvious, I remember.  You had to do an explicit 'make shared'.  Hmmm.  And
there was something wrong with some of the libs GNU readline depends on,
like termcap or curses or so.  I think I also had to install the GNU
version of one of these libs too.  Ugh!

All in all, stupid stuff, which took some time for me to resolve.
Hopefully the newer versions of readline are a little bit more 'consumer
friendly' :-)

Best regards
Dirk