Re: Scheme book recommendations

On Mon, Jun 05, 2000 at 01:22:15PM +0100, David Vrabel wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Does any one have any recommendations for books on Scheme (online or
> paper)?
>
> David Vrabel

Take a look at `An Introduction To Scheme and its Impementation'.

The URL is:
http://www.cs.utexas.edu/users/wilson/schintro/schintro_toc.html

It's not quite finished yet, but is very interesting and helpful. As
the author states, he takes a different approach than the one took in
SICP.

Here is an excerpt:

Rather than discussing them in great detail, we will breeze
through basic programming ideas--for example, we assume you have some
idea what a variable is, and what recursion is.

We take a more concrete approach than many Scheme writers do, because
we've found many students find it easier to understand. Every now and
then we'll dip below the language level, and tell you how most actual
implementations of the language work.  We find that this concreteness
helps disambiguate things in many students' minds--as well as in our
own.

(The author is Paul R. Wilson,
Associate Professor
Department of Computer Sciences