Re: Scheme book recommendations

Hello,

PN>You know, I like scheme in principle, and it's fun to read, but I have
PN>one hell of a hard time really learning to program in it.  I'm starting
PN>to change up the guile pages a bit, and I've made a call for practical
PN>scripts that could be contributed to some body of work that's nearly as
PN>practical as "Learning Perl".

FWIW, as a former full-time Perl programmer my favorite Perl tome has
always been "The Perl Cookbook" as it represents a text not only suitable
as tutorial, but as example of how pro Perl programmers tackle real-world
tasks. I've always considered this text to be one of the most practical
Perl books available. You can peruse the table of contents and a sample
chapter on-line:

    http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/cookbook/

Having a similarly formatted set of information available for Guile would
go VERY FAR to dispel the popular myth that it is not useful for everyday
scripting.

I feel that the Guile combination of "pure" Scheme (very few extra
syntatic forms) with integrated POSIX-style functions makes it very
practical for Unix scripting while maintaining the advantages of choosing
Scheme in the first place, and would love to see more people begin to do
this.

Humbly,

Andrew

Andrew Ho               http://www.tellme.com/       andrew@tellme.com
Engineer                   info@tellme.com          Voice 650-930-9062
Tellme Networks, Inc.                                 Fax 650-930-9101