Re: Creating hooks from C

Keisuke Nishida <kxn30@po.cwru.edu> writes:

> Mikael Djurfeldt <mdj@mdj.nada.kth.se> writes:
>
> > <Maintainer>
> > The snarf macros should not be considered as a part of the Guile API
> > proper.  We cannot assume that a Guile application author have access
> > to them.
> > </Maintainer>
>
> I'd like add docstrings for my application procedures and want to use
> snarf macros.  Shouldn't the snarf macros be part of the API?

It is important that it is easy for an application author to extend
his application using Guile.  If the snarf macros would be a part of
the Guile API proper, we would force him to add the .x-file mechanism
and calling the snarf script.  We don't want to do that.

In fact, even the current Guile init method, which means replacing
main, can be considered a bit too complex.  I have a vague memory that
Maciej once was working on a method to detect the top of the stack and
avoid that.  Maciej?

But I'm not saying that an application writer *shouldn't* use the
snarf macros.  We should regard it as a convenient optional extension.

BTW, regarding doc strings, we might consider extending the gh
interface to support them, but, again, I think we should wait a bit
with this until things are more settled.