Re: Removing things from numbers.h

On Wed, 10 May 2000, Clark McGrew wrote:

>     Dirk> We have a debugging option SCM_DEBUG_DEPRECATED [...]
>
> That sounds like a plan!  Ideally it should also be definable in the source
> file.  IE.  There's a file "problem.c"  I'd like to be able to add.
>
> #include <stdio.h>
> #define SCM_DEBUG_DEPRECATED 1
> #include "scm.h"
> [...]
>
> Or something...

Independent of some default setting, you can always do #undef #define to
'fine tune' the behaviour for certain files.

> I don't see any reason that the default should be settible when guile
> is configured.

Maybe you're right about that.  However, up to now it has been common
practice to make debugging options configurable with 'configure':

  --enable-guile-debug    include internal debugging functions
  --enable-debug-freelist    Include garbage collector freelist debugging code
  --enable-debug-malloc      Include malloc debugging code

Moreover, if we don't make it a configure option, I would vote for
changing the default to include the deprecated code.  Otherwise we would
force a lot of developers to make changes to some place of guile's code,
like adding the SCM_DEBUG_DEPRECATED=0 define in some central include
file.  I assume that the need to do things this way might make people
angry.

Thus I think there are the following three possible solutions:
- configure option:  Yes,  include deprecated code by default:  Yes
- configure option:  Yes,  include deprecated code by default:  No
- configure option:  No,   include deprecated code by default:  Yes

I don't mind about which solution to take.  Thus, I will implement the
solution that get's the most votes from others.  VOTE NOW :-)

Best regards
Dirk Herrmann