Re: Removing things from numbers.h

On Wed, 10 May 2000, Clark McGrew wrote:

> I've got some older code that uses some of these definitions, so
> probably others do as well.  Instead of removing them from numbers.h,
> how about putting a note in NEWS that they've been deprecated,
> commenting numbers.h in the same way, and at a later point adding
> "#ifdef USE_DEPRECATED_FEATURES" around them.

What about the following idea, based on the suggestion about debugging

We have a debugging option SCM_DEBUG_DEPRECATED, which will not define
deprecated things if set to 1, i. e. developers can figure out if they are
using deprecated stuff.  If set to 0, deprecated things will get
defined.  The default value for this option should be 1, i. e. people
using deprecated stuff will have to activate them explicitly.

This would still provide the feature that you requested, but integrates it
into the (proposed) style for compile-time debugging options.

Best regards
Dirk Herrmann