slib and guile

Contrary to the slib description in
http://www-swiss.ai.mit.edu:80/~jaffer/SLIB.FAQ guile does not make
use of the $SCHEME_LIBRARY_PATH variable. I checked ice-9/slib.scm and
found the definition of library-vicinity is not calculated by
getenv(SCHEME_LIBRARY_PATH) but simply by searching %load-path.

Should I put a
(set! %load-path (append (getenv "SCHEME_LIBRARY_PATH")
			 %load-path))
in .guile in order to access slib?

Making a link in the guile directory (as described in guile-info) is
not a proper solution as one may not have write acccess to that
directory (/usr/local/share is usually root-owned)

I simply changed ice-9/slib.scm to check SCHEME_LIBRARY_PATH
first. See slib/Template.scm

Other thing:
In .guile I have
(use-modules (ice-9 slib))
(display "hello\n")

bash$ guile
hello
guile> require
ERROR: In expression require:
ERROR: Unbound variable: require
ABORT: (unbound-variable)

So the .guile is read by guile (see hello display), but the modules
are not activated. When I do on guile-prompt

guile> (use-modules (ice-9 slib))
guile> require
#<procedure require:require (feature)>
guile>

so why does the .guile loading of modules not work?

How can I contribute to the first problem $SCHEME_LIBRARY_PATH ?

thanx
email: olivier.buechel@unifr.ch