Re: conservative scanning and infinite streams

Jim Blandy <jimb@red-bean.com> writes:

> > I'd like to use very long streams, but it a steady growing heap makes
> > this impractical.
> >
> > Do I have any option but rewriting my streams in loop style?
>
> Are you *sure* the "garbage" is really garbage?  It looks to me like
> stream-fold, used by stream-for-each, is written (probably
> accidentally) so that it holds onto the initial stream until it
> returns.

that's right, `stream-fold' is written too generically to work well
with Guile (a most rudimantary compiler life-time analysis would see
that the `stream' argument isn't needed, *sigh*).  I'll check in a
better version when I have a better connection.

> Have you tried rewriting your code without using stream-for-each?

now that, surprisingly, doesn't help at all.  some digging in
evaluator is called for, it seems...

--
There are few personal problems which can't be solved by the suitable
application of high explosives.