Re: Emacs with Guile

Per Bothner <per@bothner.com> writes:

> Mikael Djurfeldt <mdj@mdj.nada.kth.se> writes:
>
> > I see now that I phrased my message badly.  I'm of course not talking
> > about having graphics and windows in an xterm window, but supporting
> > standard terminals in Emacs.
>
> There is no such thing anymore.  A "standard terminal" is now a
> terminal *emulator*.

Which is what I meant, yes.

> I don't think I've used a real terminal for 10 years; most people
> never have.  There is no reason such an emulator cannot do graphics
> (except lack of standards).

While such a protocol and emulator would be a good thing to have, it
is more complex than the protocol for a standard terminal.  I say it
is an important strength to be able to run Emacs over a protocol only
supporting basic things like printing characters and positioning the
cursor.