Re: R5RS

On Sat, Feb 26, 2000 at 07:11:11PM +0200, Moshe Zadka wrote:
> Guile currently advertises itself to be R4RS, when the current Scheme
> standard is R5RS. Are there any thoughts about this? Has anyone composed
> a list of places which should be fixed so that guile is R5RS? Is this
> considered a desirable goal?

Well, the changes from R4RS to R5RS are essentially:

 1. empty list is definitely true (done)
 2. you can redefine built-in procedures (done)
 3. @ can be used in identifiers (done)
 4. eval is now standard (and different from the way guile does it)
 5. multiple value returns (done)
 6. dynamic-wind (done)

I seem to remember that 1 is configurable, for dealing with elisp.

Regarding 2, R5RS also says that redefining built-in procedures
should not affect other built-in procedures -- I think guile conforms
to this, but I'm not entirely sure.

4 is really the only thing missing; I believe someone is working on
it. It would certainly be useful.

BTW, I don't see the utility of 5 at all. What does call-with-values do
that apply doesn't?