Re: New module system wishlist

Lalo Martins <lalo@hackandroll.org> writes:

> > Yes.  Environments already support this feature. If you
> > set the export-signature to #f, an export-environment
> > exports all symbols.  If you connect D's import-environment
> > to the export-environment of  C and E, you'll get the
> > desired effect.
>
> It just occurred to me: how do generics interface to this?

If I remember correctly we've found two solutions:

1. the clos (TM) solution: a generic is a module which maps
  specializers to methods and is local to a compound module.
  -> Use feature renaming or a precedence list.

2. the Michael Livshin (TM) solution: a generic is a module
  which maps specializers to methods and "lives" in the (global)
  "root" module.  No name conflicts because methods are
  (globaly) unique when we take the module context into
  account.

I think that solution 2 is the right way (TM) to go. :)

Jost