Re: binary-io (was Re: rfc 2045 base64 encoding/decoding module)

>> BTW, I think octet is the proper name for 8-bit bytes.

Gary> I thought it would be better to specify that the byte size be
Gary> the same as C is using on the platform.  It would be
Gary> inconvenient to support 8-bit bytes on a machine where the byte
Gary> size and C char were some other size, such as 16 to 64 bits (I
Gary> don't know if it's likely that such machines will be
Gary> (re)-introduced in the near future, even for niche markets, but
Gary> it seems like a useful thought experiment.  Does anyone have a
Gary> PDP-10 emulator?)

Inconvenient, but probably useful anyway, inasmuch as most network
protocols (telnet and http, I know at least) and most binary file
formats, are defined in terms of a stream of, well, octets....