Re: SWIG and guile

Clark McGrew <mcgrew@ale.physics.sunysb.edu> writes:

> I've submitted these changes to swig a couple of times, but so far I
> haven't seen any indication of developer activity.  It's good to
> hear that the project is alive again.

FWIW, I initially added perl to GnuCash using swig, then I decided
that guile would be a much better idea.  When I tried swig during the
migration, it didn't work well at all, and no one on the swig list
seemed interested in having help with the guile side.

After some poking around, I found g-wrap and tried that and found that
it works quite well, though I've spoken with the author about some
improvements.  If I can get the time soon, I'm planning on working on
some of the improvements myself.  Right now it supports rscheme and
guile, and I'm thinking of trying to add support for stalin (which is
now GPLed) if that turns out to be feasible.

The nice thing about g-wrap is that it's all written in scheme
(guile), and it's fairly small.  If anyone's interested in it, I
believe I probably have the most advanced version right now, though
the last time I talked to Christopher, I'm not sure if we got
everything merged (he's been busy with real-life for a while).