Off topic (Re: Wishlist questions)

Michael Livshin <mlivshin@bigfoot.com> writes:

> and this is downright bad idea.  I don't *want* to mix module
> meta-stuff with code.  note that this doesn't contradict the desire to
> have modules be first-class and in Scheme, and not in some language
> above Scheme.  it's just that the current mixing of the meta-code with
> actual code in the same lexical context is downright messy and should
> go away as far as possible, IMHO.

Njet.  Just take a look at eiffel or similar languages.
You don't need signatures -- unless you have to deal with
foreign code.

> abstract data types.  oh, and read some introductory material on CORBA

Broken by design.  Take a look at DOM and XML. :)

> how does this sort of thing play with separate compilation?

What do you mean here?  The compiler can compile P without
looking at the source of Q.

> and Common is the "fragile base class", right?

Mabe. -- If you define "fragile base class" as "abstract class".

> you should be able to use two modules with identical interface at the
> same time.

Forget explicit interfaces for scheme modules, this is nonsense,
quatsch, gaga... :)

> it's not an interface issue, it's a linking issue.  it's
> useful not to confuse the two things.

Will you post an example of ML's parametric modules
next?  :)

Jost