Re: initial modules.texi

thi writes:

   another wishlist item i would like to add:

   @item
   programming interface to module system primitives

   One should be able to make customized module systems from the low-level
   interface, as an alternative to using the default module system.  The
   default module system should use the same low-level procedures.

I think this is very important, for another reason that I find hard to
explain!  But I think the key points are that

- we don't really want the complete module system in core Guile,
  because of (a) size and (b) it goes against the principle of being
  able to build a number of possible module systems on top of
  Jim's/Jost's environments

- we do however need something in core Guile to allow C code to do
  whatever it needs in respect of module/environment hacking.

So we need a minimal module system in the core which can be overriden
later on the Scheme level.  Or maybe not overriden - the C and Scheme
level interfaces don't actually need to overlap at all.  Or perhaps
the C level environments interface already provides enough function
for C code?

What is the minimal set of environment-related operations that C code
needs to be able to do?

      Neil