Re: cvsignore

[From my (a "module hacker's") point of view:]

"Greg J. Badros" <gjb@cs.washington.edu> writes:

> right thing.  But I now believe it can't and we need a new feature in
> CVS to get what we want.

Why?  I think that .cvsignore is a property of the module to which it
belongs.  The module owner (the FSF in this case) can specify the list
of files which are to be ignored in the current module.  This list is
valid for every environment in which the module may be used.

If you have a special environment, you can add more files to a
per-environment .cvsignore.  I think this makes sense because it
doesn't matter if you are in module `libguile' or `ice-9', your
environment always stays the same.  I think that only the module owner
should be able to change the module's meta-information.

> CVSROOT/cvsignore is only useful for establishing repository-wide
> policy.

I find it interesting however that CVS supports meta information per
package ("repository-wide").  -- I think guile's module system needs
that too.  The load-path for example is a property of the package, not
the property of an individual module.

Jost