parsing and generating binary data

sen_ml@eccosys.com writes:

 >   i'd like to parse and generate arbitrary binary data and i was
 > wondering whether anyone could point me at some sample code and/or
 > suggest some modules i might be able to use to do this -- i looked
 > through my local .scm files w/o much success.  i'm thinking of
 > functionality like pack/unpack in perl or the struct module from
 > python.
 >
 >   i'm a relative newbie concerning guile (though i've had some
 > experience writing elisp), so please be gentle.

this sounds like a generally useful feature.

i think the most constructive reply would be to urge you to write
pack/unpack for guile if your search returns nil.  then, name it
something like (ice-9 pack) and contribute the code.  this can all be
done in guile scheme, which would help you aclimatize as a bonus.

 >   also, i've been reading the guile-ref, guile-tut, and goops docs;
 > are minor comments about grammar and such relevant at this point?  or
 > should these kinds of things wait 'til the documentation has been
 > fleshed out a bit more?

bug reports should be sent to bug-guile@gnu.org.  has anyone arranged to
archive bug-guile?  that would be a great help in the absense of a bug
tracking system.

happy hacking,
thi