Re: Non-source files in CVS

Marius Vollmer wrote:

> Maciej Stachowiak <mstachow@alum.mit.edu> writes:
>
> > Jost Boekemeier wrote:

> > That sounds like a fine idea to me. Does cvs merge that file with
> > `.cvsignore', or does `.cvsignore' strictly take precedence?
>
> It merges the two.  In a sense .cvsignore does take precedence because
> you can reset the list of ignored files to be empty (with a `!') and
> thus wipe out the effects of CVSROOT/cvsignore.  This is explained in
> the docs.

In that case, I think it would be great to replace the individual
.cvsignores with $CVSROOT/CVSROOT/cvsignore. Regarding the other
issues, perhaps checking in generated files on a release branch
would be a good idea. All you'd have to do is create a branch,
`make dist', and check in the results. Given this, I think it would
be fine to remove the autogenerated files from the repository as well.

Feel free to do either or both of these any time you want.

 - Maciej