Guile modularity (was Re: message primitive)

"Greg J. Badros" <gjb@cs.washington.edu> writes:

> I'm fine w/ no leading %, but was just considered about R[45]RS
> compatiblity/portability issues.

Which issues were you thinking about?

Guile should of course have a pure R5RS module.  Programs using this
module would be guaranteed a 100% clean environment.  (Yes, 100%.  A
module system which can't support this is flawed.)

But a pure R5RS environment isn't suitable as the interactive
environment for a session.  Then one would like to have additional
primitives like apropos, reading docs etc.  One also want to be able
to walk around modules.  And, very probably, one would also like to
have a small toolbox, perhaps including your "simple-format".

So, it seems natural that there is one module (perhaps "guile") which
exports pure R5RS + a little toolbox which is considered belonging to
the core Guile language.  (Original "set!" exists in the R5RS module,
while our extended set perhaps is exported from the toolbox.)

The session module, in turn, would export the "guile" module + a
"session" module.

I don't think a "simple-format" would do harm in the toolbox module.

/mdj