Re: new maintainer for guile debian packages desired

Karl Fogel <kfogel@red-bean.com> writes:

> Craig Brozefsky <craig@red-bean.com> writes:
> > I've been the often lame maintainer of the guile Debian packages for
> > awhile, taking over about a year ago.  In that time I've done as best
> > I can with the limited time I have been able to give, but feel that
> > the guile community deserves someone who has more time on their
> > hands.
>
> What exactly does package maintainership entail?
>
> (Multi-platform compiling and testing?  A lot of Debian-specific
> changes?  Other stuff I haven't thought of?)

It primarily entails being a laison for bug reports coming from Debian
users, and the guile maintainers.  Guile's integration into the rest
of Debian at this point is largely done.  The primary non-laison tasks
are integrating guile with supporting packages better, like SLIB, and
coordinating with packages that use guile so that they can flexibly
use different guile versions.

As far as multi-platform compiling, you need to support it, but you do
not need to carry it all out yourself.  For example, I used to build
my guile packages on x86, upload them and the source code (or patches
to it) and then automated build processors, or human porters would
download the source and build it on the other platforms and upload the
packages for those platforms.  I now build on a Debian/UltraSparc box
and my process has not changes at all.  You do need to coordinate
patches from porters on other platforms and make sure they get
upstream properly.

The biggest problem facing the guile packages now ae some m68k patches
that need to be integrated upstream.  Otherwise, it is in good shape
once I do my next upload.  With GOOPS in potato, we will get alot mroe
users I think.

--
Craig Brozefsky                         <craig@red-bean.com>
Free Scheme/Lisp Software     http://www.red-bean.com/~craig