Re: Doc Tasks (was RE: docstrings in Guile!)

Gregg Reynolds writes:

 > And we're really only at the beginning.  Encoding text in *ML will
 > pay multiple dividends down the line when sophisticated hyperlinking
 > and other *ML technologies become more widely available.

this is not entirely correct in the case of the guile community.  much
documentation has been written by folks using texinfo (for projects
other than guile, e.g., GNU).  i think it's a mistake to to discount
this depth of experience.

btw, the point about markup being useful later applies to any markup
where one controls the source code of the transform program; it is not a
divisive issue.

 > A few more datapoints: Docbook is under active *funded* development,
 > and "Future versions of Docbook may provide additional environments
 > for describing the syntax summaries of functions in other programming
 > languages."  (from the duck book, p 239, doh!, I just realized that
 > was a visual pun, way to go, O'Reilly.)  Not to mention, the
 > co-author of the duck book happens to be the guy (Norm Walsh) who
 > wrote and maintains the DSSSL docbook stylesheets (DSSSL = Scheme).
 > It's safe to say he would be happy to find somebody making docbook
 > more friendly to Scheme.  Why don't we do that?

there's an irony in the works:

	scheme : common-lisp :: docbook : texinfo

thi