Re: GOOPS state (was Re: I resign as Guile maintainer)

Nicolas> Now, I am quite fascinated by CLOS (but not a LISP expert).  Thus, if
Nicolas> Christian Lynbech (or someone else) hints me at places where I could
Nicolas> gather documentation (hopefully not only "read the code" ...)  and
Nicolas> answers several questions I would try to improve and complete the
Nicolas> documentation ...

The newest version of GOOPS is available from the CVS repository as
the module `guile-oops'. It actually contains a tutorial which has
helped me quite a bit (it has been adapted from the STk distribution).

Since goops is derived from CLOS, text on that is also a good starting
point. There is an old book by Sonya Keene that is often cited as a
good general introduction to CLOS.

If you want to understand the internals of GOOPS and the MOP
(MetaObject Protocol) better, the standard text is "The Art of the
Metaobject Protocol" by Gregor Kiczales et al. Still a Common Lisp
book, but it defines a mini-CLOS (closette) that was the starting
point for what is now GOOPS.

Christian Lynbech          | Ericsson Telebit A/S
Fax:   +45 8628 8186       | Fabrikvej 11, DK-8260 Viby J
Phone: +45 8628 8177 + 28  | email: chl@tbit.dk --- URL: http://www.tbit.dk
                                        - petonic@hal.com (Michael A. Petonic)