Re: A few random thoughts

    Greg> The only way they'll be improved is if you bitch
    Greg> about them (nicely, of course... bitch nicely :).

I'd like to see a repository of contributed modules, kind of like
CPAN.  It's rumored that there is a repository at ftp.red-bean.com,
but I've run into problems: That address doesn't resolve for me.  It
would be nice if the web page could link to the site.  There are lot's
of us using guile for all sorts of things.  I'd bet that there are
quite a few of nifty modules out there.  Note: I'm not thinking about
large libraries and packages.  I'm mostly thinking about the sorts of
things that might end up in slib, or ice-9.

Along those same lines, I'd like to see a file added to the guile-core
suggesting a directory hierarchy for modules.  This has been discussed
in the past, but as far as I know nothing ever came of it.  I'm not
suggesting a particular module tree, but the file might read something
like this.  This same information should appear on the webpage.

MODULES ---------
Where Modules Go
===== ======= ==

System Modules: You can find all of the "system" modules distributed
with guile in the (ice-9 ...) hierarchy.

Application specific modules: Application specific modules should be
placed in (app <application> ...) to help minimize name collisions.

SRFI: Scheme request for implementation modules can be found in the
(srfi srfi-n).  These modules most re-export symbols that are defined
in modules with more friendly names.

Other Modules: User modules should be placed in one of:
     (util ...) General utility modules.
     (net  ...) Network interface modules
     (whatever ...) ...

This is a case where I don't think the exact hierarcy is all that
important, but guile is getting mature that it makes since to suggest
a "common practice" for module naming.