Re: Scwm-0.99.5 is released!

Michael Vanier <mvanier@bbb.caltech.edu> writes:

> Could you explain what you mean by "self-documenting" wrt scwm?  I've been
> meaning to try scwm for some time (due to frustration with other window
> managers) but I've been hampered by the lack of documentation.  The
> reference manual seems to be mostly a placeholder for where documentation
> will go in the future, and when I downloaded the tutorial documentation as
> a pdf file, acroread core dumped on it.  The LaTeX files were pretty
> sparse, too.  Should I wait a few more months for the docs to fill out?

Scwm is self-documenting in the same way that Emacs is self-documenting.
There are nearly complete and up-to-date "docstring" style documentation
with every primitive (those procedures that are written in C) and almost
all other procedures.  When using, e.g., the scwm.el scwm-mode interface
to scwm, the documentation is really accessible, and very easy to use.

The current best, non-interactive documentation is available linked from
the scwm web page (http://scwm.mit.edu/) at:

http://www.cs.washington.edu/homes/gjb/scwm-doc/

This is mostly just the docstrings in HTML format and cross referenced.
There is some simple "Concepts" documentation, but it is not
comprehensive nor nearly as up-to-date as the docstrings.

All things considered, I consider Scwm to have very good *reference*
documentation.  It is, however, lacking in introductory and tutorial
documentation, though some of the efforts you've been looking at would
fill those voids if they were completed.

Greg