RE: Autoconf trouble

Tom> This probably means your autoconf is misinstalled.

John> If it is improperly installed, then it's a result of the rpm
John> packager.  If it is improperly installed, why does it work
John> without errors for many packages, and why in fact did it work
John> for guile until very recently (it looks like I did a succesful
John> build on 4 Oct)?

That was just a guess on my part.  Maybe it is installed correctly.
You're on your own here, I'm afraid.

John> How does one start to debug this problem (if they had the time)?

Find out why AC_CHECK_LIB is not defined.  For instance, does your
autoconf work on this configure.in?

	AC_INIT
	AC_CHECK_LIB(m,main)

John> 15 years ago it might take some time hand editing makefiles,
John> header and C files, but you could always get something to
John> compile.  It's hard to defend a tool that stops you dead on what
John> is a pretty standard system these days, is nearly impossible to
John> debug, and provides such limited error output..

15 years ago you had to know all about everything in order to build
any tool.  If you had to build on multiple architectures, you were in
for a day of pain in order to install just one tool.  I don't know
about you, but for me those were the bad old days.

In this particular case, you are in trouble because you are using the
guile cvs repository.  This means you are a maintainer (whether you
want to be or not), and thus you need the maintainer tools to work.
If they don't, then things won't work for you.  If the compiler were
misinstalled on your system, you'd have the same sorts of problems.

Also, just because RH is the "standard", it doesn't make it right.  In
the old days SunOS was the standard, and it was known to be broken in
various ways too.  For an up-to-date example, RH comes with an
unreleased and unsupported version of automake.

My rant for the day,