Re: Guile, CORBA and GNOME

> From: Jim Blandy <jimb@red-bean.com>

JB> Reading the ILU docs, the Guile bindings seem to be built on top of
JB> YASOS.  In the section on "Object types", it says, "Each object is
JB> mapped to an ILU-YASOS object."
JB>
JB> I can appreciate that YASOS is portable, while GOOPS is not.  Perhaps
JB> we could emulate YASOS on top of GOOPS.  But it seems like a pain.  I
JB> would much rather have the system generate bindings specific to Guile
JB> that use GOOPS.

Pain to do, pain to use.
CORBA is already a lot of layers of translation.
That way madness lies.

> Bill Nell writes:
bnell> Well, it has been a long time since I first implemented it, but
bnell> I don't remember using any features of Guile that couldn't easily be
bnell> implemented using the R4RS standard (R5RS hadn't been out at the
bnell> time).

But now I'm confused.  The man who wrote it says it is
a binding to standard Scheme, while Jim says it goes through
YASOS.  (I did see that word in the docs too.)
What is YASOS?  Guess: Yet Another S___ Object System.
But who wrote it, who uses it, why?
Is it an OO library written in Standard Scheme?
(That might reconcile what Bill and Jim are saying.)

What is the advantage of going through GOOPS instead of
straight to Scheme?

--
     -- Keith Wright  <kwright@free-comp-shop.com>

Programmer in Chief, Free Computer Shop <http://www.free-comp-shop.com>