Re: Guile, CORBA and GNOME

> From: Bill Nell <bnell@mathworks.com>
> cc: Bill Janssen <janssen@parc.xerox.com>, guile@sourceware.cygnus.com
>
> On Sat, 2 Oct 1999, Klaus Schilling wrote:
>
> > Bill Nell writes:
> >  > So is there any interest in the CORBA community for Scheme bindings?  It
> >  > would be totally cool if my bindings could get into the CORBA spec!
> >
> > Cool. But I fear that R5RS  is too weak as a base for Corba bindings.
> > So there will be a hard time to do it implementation independant.

Depends on what you mean.  I don't think anybody believes you can
write it all in R5RS Scheme and port the interface as source code.
But there's no reason we can't define some procedures that take
their arguments and return the results as Scheme data structures
so that the _calls_ are Pure Scheme.  (Hell, it's been done
for COBOL)

> > Alas, Common Lisp isn't much better off. I'v seen Ilu bindungs just
> > for Allegro, not for free CL imps like Clisp and CMUCL.

> Well, it has been a long time since I first implemented it, but I don't
> remember using any features of Guile that couldn't easily be implemented
> using the R4RS standard (R5RS hadn't been out at the time).
>
> So, I don't think it would be too hard to make it implementation
> independent.
>
> If anyone is really interested I would take the time to dig out the old
> code out and make it as vanilla Scheme (R4RS, R5RS?) as possible.

Is there a place I can get it?  Is "it" a bunch of code, or a spec?
Would you describe ILU as a superset of CORBA?

--
     -- Keith Wright  <kwright@free-comp-shop.com>

Programmer in Chief, Free Computer Shop <http://www.free-comp-shop.com>
         ---  Food, Shelter, Source code.  ---