Re: The taming of the before-gc-hook (was Re: Upcoming 1.3.2 release)

Mikael Djurfeldt <mdj@mdj-pc.nada.kth.se> writes:

> The disadvantage is that we have to reserve a pool of conses for
> special uses (it could be used for other purposes as well, like
> printing objects during debugging).

One might object that this would make the GC plugin interface more
complex.  This may or may not be true, but the cons pools will be
needed anyway when we move to POSIX threads.  Each thread will then
need a provate pool.  It doesn't seem to be any problem then to
reserve one extra pool.

> Note that it is possible to arrange for the before-gc-hook to abort
> nicely and quietly (meaning that GC will proceed) if we run out of
> memory.

This was a pretty stupid thing to say.

I think I need some sleep.  Good night.