Re: goops and encapsulation

"Peter C. Norton" <spacey@inch.com> writes:

> On Mon, Jul 19, 1999 at 05:07:00PM -0500, Jim Blandy wrote:
> > I have no experience with CLOS at all, so this kind of thing kind of
> > bugs me, too.  When it comes to object systems, I'm much more
> > comfortable in the Smalltalk camp.  But I'm going to try to absorb the
> > CLOS mindset more before I complain. :)
>
> Is there another reference for CLOS aside from CLtL that's more
> user-oriented, and explains a bit about why it's designed the way it is?
> I'm still not sure what a MOP is supposed to do for me.

The most practical book for you to pick up is probably:

Object-Oriented Programming in Commmon Lisp -
	A Programmer's Guide to CLOS
Sonya E. Keene
Addison-Wesley in association with Symbolics Press
ISBN: 0-201-17589-4

And if you wanna theoretical grounding:

The Art of the Metaobject Protocol
Gregor Kiczales, Jim des Revieres, Daniel G. Bobrow
The MIT Press
ISBN: 0-262-61074-4

But mind you that GOOPS is not CLOS, but is largely based on it.  So
the Keene won't be a substitute for the GOOPS documentation.

--
Craig Brozefsky                         <craig@red-bean.com>
Free Scheme/Lisp Software     http://www.red-bean.com/~craig