Re: Performance, argh

Lalo Martins <lalo@webcom.com> writes:

> > Excuse me but what is a ".gscmc" format?
>
> A format for semicompiled (or byte-compiled) code. I came up
> with that ugly extension from ".pyc", the extension used by
> Python. ".scmc" implies that it works on scm; ".gscmc" is for
> "Guile Scheme Compiled".

I'm not sure if you are aware of the "freezer".  It takes the memoized
tree code and can write it to disk and read it back.  It was only an
experiment and is likely totally broken now, but it might still be
interesting to look at.  It's in the guile contrib archive.

The real speed daemon is still the unexec variant of Guile, I think.
With it, startup is instant.  I think I was able to get a Guile start
frequency of about 60Hz on my box (that is, Guile was able to boot
into the repl, do nothing, and then quit 60 times per second (or maybe
only 30 times, I forgot)). It's also in the contrib archive.