eval

I don't know too much about guile (or scheme in general), but I was a
bit surprised to find this behaviour:

guile> (let ((x 'y)) (eval '(display x)))

ERROR: While evaluating arguments to display in expression (display x):
ERROR: Unbound variable: x

This works the way I expect it to under elk, for example. So does
guile or elk have a problem, and how am I supposed to eval an
expression in the local environment?

Thanks for any help,
--
Frode Vatvedt Fjeld