Re: After list change

Peter has explaned things better than I can.  I want to expand on
two things:

On Wed, Jun 30, 1999 at 04:13:02PM -0400, Peter C. Norton wrote:

> > Is it some useful information in this line?
> > "guile-return-22-orre=nada.kth.se@sourceware.cygnus.com"

> The number 22 refers to the message number in the list archives, if it's
> archived, which is the default.

The guile list is archived by qmail; there are also web archives at

	http://sourceware.cygnus.com/ml/guile/

and mbox-formatted archives available via ftp,

	ftp://sourceware.cygnus.com/pub/guile/mail-archives/

Both the ftp and web archives go back to 1997.  The web archives have
an htdig-based search engine.

> If a few messages to you bounced, then
> the list management software would send a probe to your email address
> telling you which messages you missed, and then there are other commands
> that you can use to have those messages re-sent to you.
>
> Of course, if that bounced you'd be unsubscribed.

The ezmlm mailing list software will unsubscribe people after 25 days.
An address will get two or three probe messages before it is unsubscribed.

This is much nicer than the old mailing list software.  If your mail
address is temporarily broken, ezmlm will tell you what messages you
missed and how to get them.  With majordomo, you would have just missed
the messages.

Jason