Re: mod_guile design problems

| Chris Bitmead <cbitmead@ozemail.com.au> writes:
|
| > forcer wrote:
| >
| > > - Apache uses it's own type of FILE pointers, BUFF's.
| > >   There seems no way to wrap a BUFF into a guile port and
| > >   lateron
| > >   retrieve the BUFF from the port.
| >
| > It would be nice if guile ports were abstracted so you could make a
| > source or sink of data out of anything. I don't know anything about this
| > though.
|
| That can be done, actually (using soft-ports. But as for many,
| many other parts, this interface is due to be changed RSN, IIRC)

It would be possible to write an interface that would fit better with
the new port system, but that doesn't imply that the SCM-compatible
interface would need to be scrapped.

| The problem is that a guile port does only provide the
| information of a guile port. What i would need is to extract some
| more information out of the port (at the C level. I don't like to
| peek/poke at internal structures, there should be an official way)
|
| E.g. i want to create a port out of BUFF *x. Then i want to use
| that port. And lateron, i want to extract the same BUFF *x out of
| the port.

I don't know what a BUFF is, but maybe it could be done using
something like the string-ports implementation.  Writing documentation
for adding a new port type is on my to-do list.