Re: Slib frustrations

>>>>> "John" == John Daschbach <d3h486@wd19518.emsl.pnl.gov> writes:

Hmm, it seems to me that something is not working properly with your
guile installation. I do not have problems with SLIB (as stated in
reference manual and FAQ).

        guile> (use-modules (ice-9 slib))
        guile> (require 'format)
        guile> (format "~A" 'hello-world)
        "hello-world"

John> The news files states:

John> *** (primitive-load FILENAME :optional CASE-INSENSITIVE-P SHARP)
John> uses %seach-load-path to find a file named FILENAME, and loads it if
John> it finds it.  If it can't read FILENAME for any reason, it throws an
John> error.

John> Clearly this in not true!

Lack of documentation is bad. Documentation that is wrong is even worse.

        guile> (load "ice-9/debug")
        ERROR: In procedure open-file:
        ERROR: No such file or directory: "ice-9/debug"
        ABORT: (system-error)
        guile> (load-from-path "ice-9/debug")

I do not know if load/primitive-load ever did search path, but it
doesn't now. If one needs to search path, one should use
`load-from-path'. There is also a `primitive-load-path' but that does
not handle modules.

John> Then in the FAQ I found that one should use:

John> (use-modules (ice-9 slib))
John> (require 'format)

This is acutally also in the reference manual (there is a SLIB
node). I do not know about release 1.3, but there was a time where the
reference manual was distributed separately. The ought to be more
about it in the FAQ.

John> ERROR: In procedure gsubr-apply in expression (@apply fun (apply:nconc2last args)):
John> ERROR: No such file or directory: "/usr/local/share/guile/site/slib/mklibcat"
John> ABORT: (system-error)
guile> (system "ls /usr/local/share/guile/site/slib/mklib*")
John> /usr/local/share/guile/site/slib/mklibcat.scm
John> 0

Perhaps this is the root of the problem. I have:

        guile> (system "ls -l /usr/local/share/guile/site/slib/mklib*")
        lrwxrwxrwx   1 root     root           12 Jun 24 09:41 /usr/local/share/guile/site/slib/mklibcat -> mklibcat.scm
        -rw-r--r--   1 root     root         6101 Jun  4 02:22 /usr/local/share/guile/site/slib/mklibcat.scm
        0

but I do not remember whether I have made that link myself or not (I
probably have, in which case there is a genuine bug in the slib module).

John> Many of us don't have the time to be digging around in the source to
John> figure out how to use something.

It is well recognized that guile documentation is in a terrible shape.

Christian Lynbech          | Telebit Communications A/S
Fax:   +45 8628 8186       | Fabrikvej 11, DK-8260 Viby J
Phone: +45 8628 8177 + 28  | email: chl@tbit.dk --- URL: http://www.tbit.dk
                                        - petonic@hal.com (Michael A. Petonic)