Re: Tired of make.

korbb@egcs.cygnus.com writes:

> It is also commonly reviled.  I _also_ build tools under
> SVR4/5.  There is an excellent development tool set that
> includes a Posix compliant make facility.  It is completely
> fine as a build tool.

Does it work reliably on all platforms?  At work, we've long since
given up using platform makes in favor of GNU Make, even though we use
all of the other platform tools.  I'd be interested in hearing if make
is now (finally) compatible enough among AIX, HP-UX, IRIX, Solaris,
and DUX/Tru64 to be useful.

(Of course, most GNU projects target a wider range of platforms, most
with notably broken makes, but it might be acceptable merely to
require GNU make on those platforms.)

--
Alan Shutko <ats@acm.org> - Looking for a job in Long Island!
Check http://rescomp.wustl.edu/~ats/ for a resume.