build requirements

Are there plans to fix the Guile build environment so that it doesn't
require both GNU make (for %.lo:%.c rules) and GNU CC (for -Wp,-MD
options)?  I just spent the last half hour or hour trying to figure
out why it wouldn't build on a system where I have to use the native
cc.  (I didn't realize at first that the executed libtool command has
the -Wp,-MD... option added even though it's not displayed in the
"make" output.)  Maybe it's a libtool or automake thing, I dunno.

If I distribute an application using Guile as its extension language,
I certainly don't want to require all these other tools to already be
installed and working.  (Granted, I may want to use them myself, but I
don't want to impose that on anyone else.)

Ken