Gary Houston's ports; test suite framework

I've almost got Gary Houston's new I/O system installed; hopefully,
I'll be able to check it in by the end of today.

The good news is that, if you account for GC time, and disable
debugging support (both areas we know are problematic), it's roughly
as fast as Perl at line-oriented I/O.  I'll be putting the benchmarks
I used to come up with that answer up for anonymous CVS at some point
in the near future, so people can try it out for themselves.

The bad news is that they doesn't support line-buffered I/O, so output
to the terminal is kind of sluggish (on my 166MHz Pentium).  The
changes also do away with stdio FILE pointers so completely that you
can't really mix operations on stdio descriptors with Guile
operations, which isn't the way it should be.  People shouldn't have
to give up printf to use Guile.  I want to fix these problems before I
commit the changes.

So, the second part: Guile now has a test suite framework, available
via anonymous CVS.  I've provided some general-purpose testing
routines, and a test file for ports (because that's what I happen to
be working on).  I'd love it if people could contribute new test files
(especially tests for unfixed bugs they know about).  See `ports.test'
for an example, and the comments in `testsuite/lib.scm' for details.

To check it out:

1) Log into the CVS server:
     $ cvs -d :pserver:anoncvs@egcs.cygnus.com:/cvs/guile login
   At the prompt for `CVS password:', type `anoncvs'.
   Once you have logged in, your password is saved in ~/.cvspass, and you
   will not need to enter it again.
2) Check out the module:
     $ cvs -z 9 -d :pserver:anoncvs@egcs.cygnus.com:/cvs/guile checkout guile-test-suite

This should create a new directory `guile-modules' in your current
directory, containing the subdirectory `test-suite'.  See the README
files in `guile-modules' and `guile-modules/test-suite' for details.