Re: How do I use readline?

Michael Vanier <mvanier@bbb.caltech.edu> writes:

> I've been trying all day to get readline to work on the latest guile.  I
> got it working on guile-1.3, but for the latest guile I had to hack
> libguile/Makefile.am, remove all Makefile.in's, hack configure.in to put
> back the readline tests, rerun automake and autoconf, and recompile and it
> STILL didn't work!  Any advice from the gurus would be appreciated...  I
> understand why the readline support was removed but I would prefer
> if we waited until a good solution was in place.  A --with-readline
> configure option, though not perfect, would at least be a reasonable
> intermediate step.

There are two ways to put readline back into guile, the bad way and
the good way.  The bad way would be to write a standalone guile
executable which links in libreadline and the various support code.
The good way would be to make a dynamically loadable libreadline and a
module of support code so that any interactive ugile session anywhere
can just write (use-modules (fsf readline)) and obtain a readline
interface.  This existed, once upon a time; it would not be very
difficult to implement, provided guile's dynamic linking support works
reliably.  The only drawback to this dynamic linking business is that
it can interact unfavorably with freezing of code.

Andrew Archibald