Re: Guile and --with-readline?

On Mon, 10 May 1999, Mikael Djurfeldt wrote:

> Jim Blandy <jimb@red-bean.com> writes:
>
> > The problem is that the sysadmin shouldn't be in the position of
> > leading people working with Guile on her system into a copyright
> > violation.  The decision to use or not use readline has to be made by
> > the end user.
>
> Hmm...  I don't know enough about your copyright law, but it seems to
> me that the GPL doesn't talk about the *use* of the program.  Is there
> some kind of default protection also for the use just because FSF owns
> the copyright?
>
> Otherwise, it seems to me that it would be enough to separate out
> libguilereadline from libguile and explicitly link it into the guile
> binary.
>
> It would be a copyright violation to explicitly link libguilereadline
> into a non-free application, but it wouldn't be a copyright violation
> for the innocent use Guile for scripting, or?
>
> /mdj

It seems to me that the other reason for taking out libreadline is the
simple fact that (last time I checked) it doesn't compile to a _shared_
library!  This immediatly bulks up guile-using application forced to link
with libreadline by about 200k, and if the app isn't using guile for
for interactive console app where libreadline could be used, then it's
just a dead weight...  AND it also forces a link against ncurses, and if
the app isn't going to use ncurses then that's even more wasted memory.
However I agree that for some stuff libreadline is _wonderful_...  Some
way of including libreadline optionally without forcing everyone to link
their guile-using apps against it would be wonderful...

           -------------- tetron@student.umass.edu -------------
           ------- http://www-unix.oit.umass.edu/~tetron -------