This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the Guile project.
Re: Guile and --with-readline?
- To: forcer <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Subject: Re: Guile and --with-readline?
- From: Jim Blandy <email@example.com>
- Date: 09 May 1999 12:57:20 -0500
- Cc: firstname.lastname@example.org
- References: <199905052057.WAA05844@forcix.roof.lan>
> As i can see from the ChangeLog, Jim Blandy removed the
> readline configury completely from configure.in. Uhm..
> may i ask why?
> I know that guile can't be linked to readline by default to
> prevent copyright problems, but what was wrong with the
> --with-readline option?
> And more importantly, how can i add readline support to guile
> now? I hope it didn't get dropped completely?
I agree it's inconvenient; I really liked it.
The problem is that the sysadmin shouldn't be in the position of
leading people working with Guile on her system into a copyright
violation. The decision to use or not use readline has to be made by
the end user.
If someone could turn the readline support into a dynamically linked
module, and tell me what to put in my ~/.guile file, I'd be very