Re: What that come from?

"Eric M. Ludlam" <zappo@ultranet.com> writes:

>   I'm working on an app using gtk as the front end, and guile as the
>   scripting language.  The C application provides guile bindings for
>   various graphical features used in making maps and postgres data forms.
>
>   Since C defines a simple API, the actual application is in scheme.
>   When the C code catches an error in a callback (written in scheme) I
>   was able to figure out how to display the stack trace in a dialog
>   box.  This was immensely useful.  I'd like to add a button on this
>   dialog that says "go fix it", or something roughly equivalent which
>   would have the immediate benefit of also re-loading that file, or
>   file section without having to restart.  (I have no command line to
>   re-enter stuff in... yet)

Is your code available somewhere... I'd love to see what you've done as
it sounds like it'd be useful for Scwm, the Scheme Configurable Window Manager
(http://vicarious-existence.mit.edu/scwm/).

>   So I ask, how do I find out where a scheme function is defined so I
>   can call gnuserv or emacsclient on it?  I'd like to eventually offer
>   something more useful, but this seems like a good start to me.

See (ice-9 session) and its  apropos stuff.  Mikael posted some thoughts
about augmenting the procedure meta-information a while back, but I
don't know if that has been implemented yet.  I'm sure the list folks
have more complete information about this.

>   While I'm here, how do you add procedure documentation to a built in
>   function?  I love hacking emacs, and want to have this feature in my
>   application since I often forget what my functions parameters are.

Scwm has a separate documentation extraction system to take the place of
this ability until Guile supports more meta-information efficiently
itself.  Our Emacs interface is really nice to use for accessing both
kinds of documentation (that accessible via procedure-documentation, and
via our own mechanism).

Greg