scm_sysintern vs scm_intern

I have an application that does the following in C:

gh_new_procedure4_0 ("foo", foo);

and later [but still in the same function call] does

foo_ptr = &CDR(scm_permanent_object (scm_intern ("foo", 3)));
scm_apply (*foo_ptr, ...);

The problem is that "foo" is undefined when calling scm_apply
(*foo_ptr == SCM_UNDEFINED).

This used to work in 1.2 and I'm wondering if I've bumped into
an incompatibility since switching to 1.3.

I've traced things to the point that gh_new_procedure4_0 calls
scm_sysintern and it returns something different than the subsequent
scm_intern call does.  [Maybe the two foo's end up in different modules.]

Does this ring a bell?